2011 Downtown Greenway Recap
- Construction begins on Phase 1A between West Lee Street and Spring Garden Street along the east side of Freeman Mill Road in May.
- Continued design work take place on Phase 3.
- Public meetings for Phases 3 and 2E held May 19.
- In May, MPO recommends $2.8 million in federal funding for the right-of-way purchase and construction of Phase 3.
- Phase 1A artist bench commissioned from Alloy Artisan Group in Wilmington, NC; design approved and under fabrication.
- Project Greenway, a citizens’ group interested in promoting support for the Downtown Greenway, formed in the Spring.
- Festival of Service, a collaboration between Urban Ministry, Healthserve, Greensboro College, and Warnersville Historical & Beautification Society, is held April 3with great enthusiasm and attendance.
- Ground breaking for Phase 1A and trash pick up with Greensboro Beautiful’s Great American Clean-Up held April 2. More than 60 volunteers collected over 200 bags of trash to be recycled.
- Public meetings held in January for phase 1A underpass art and landscaping.