2009 Downtown Greenway Recap
- Public meetings are held on design concepts for Phase 2 running from East Lee Street/Murrow Boulevard north to the intersection of Fisher Avenue/North Eugene Street. Three concepts are presented, and public input indicates a desire for enhanced green space and maximum space for the Greenway.
- Artist Brower Hatcher from Providence, Rhode Island, is commissioned to design the first of four cornerstones to anchor the four corners of the Greenway. Brower’s theme is Motion, representing the importance of transportation and education in this community; he proposes The Gateway of the Open Book. Click here for more information.
- Artist Gary Gresko from Oriental, NC, is commissioned to design the first of 12 artist benches. Gary works with the Warnersville neighborhood and creates the Five Points Bench which is installed in June. Click here for more information about the bench.
- Construction of the Greenway is completed in June and the landscaping is installed in November. Click here for photos.
- Ground is broken in March on the first phase: a 1/4-mile section in the Southwest corner of the loop in the Warnersville neighborhood between south Eugene Street and East Lee Street on an easement donated to the City by Greensboro College.
- Greenway committees are restructured to allow for a full partnership with the City of Greensboro.