Duke University student Jo (Joungwon) Kwon graduated in December 2018 with a degree in MA Computational Media and did her thesis on the Durham Belt Line Trail. The Downtown Greenway was a great inspiration for her project. Her thesis was about "The Use of Geographic Information System for the Adaptive Reuse of Historical Sites: A Study of the Durham Belt Line Trail." In this thesis, she analyzed how the Durham Belt Line will benefit from adaptive reuse, explore future options for Durham to maintain its history and community with the Durham Belt Line Trail, and discover how best to maximize the impact of curated cultural content through the use of digital tools such as GIS. Read her thesis and about her findings regarding the Downtown Greenway on pages 43-46.
ColorHaus at Morehead Park on the Downtown Greenway
We will still have the Pop-Up Class tonight despite the weather!
We have moved it in-doors to 406 Prescott Street
(one block down from Meeting Place at Tradition Cornerstone)
On-street parking on Prescott Street and in the parking lot.
Hope to see you there!
10 REASONS TO JOIN US FOR THE WHEELS ON THE GREENWAY ON MAY 6!
1. Ride the Downtown Greenway: Bike, trike, skate or roll to the Gateway of the Open Book Cornerstone and Warnersville Recreation Center. Downtown Police Bike Patrol members will lead the bike ride on the Downtown Greenway.
2. Kids Zone Bike Rodeo: Crumley Roberts will provide free helmets to all children and helmet fittings, t-shirts and safety course
3. Bike Fix-It Station & Bike Demos: Several local bike shops including Cycles de Oro, Performance Bikes, Gallactic Bikes, Recycles, Bikesboro, & eBike Central will provide bike tune-ups and/or bike demos
4. LimeBike: adults can rent a LimeBike to ride the Greenway and demo their new ebikes and escooters.
5. Bling Your Bike: Decorate your wheels
6.Give Back: Bring your gently used bikes to the event to donate to kids at the Warnersville Recreation Center; haven’t outgrown your bike yet? Consider donating a bike lock.
7. Kids Treat: Morehead Foundry will provide a cookie decorating station for all kids. All restaurants & bakery will be open to stop in and get bite to eat.
8. Entertainment: Music provided by local DJ/K2 Productions
9. Other tents along Downtown Greenway: LimeBike, Bikesboro, eBike Central, Safe Guilford, Bike MS/Walk MS, Girl Scouts Carolinas Peaks to Piedmont, and City of Greensboro Parks & Recreation Plan2Play & the Greensboro Public Library.
10. TO GET OUTDOORS AND HAVE FUN!!
Interested in volunteering on the day of the event?
Please contact Laura Lorenz at firstname.lastname@example.org or 336.387.8355
For more information about the event, go to:
Mark your calendar for the afternoon of Saturday, September 23 for the dedication of LoFi Park on the Downtown Greenway located at the corner of West Smith Street and North Eugene Street in front of Joymongers Brewery. Neighborhood bench artist Jeanette Brossart will attend for the dedication. Stay tuned for details in the coming weeks.
Every Wednesday on social media, we post a 'Where is this in Greensboro?' contest with photos of public art and areas of interest throughout Greensboro. Winners with the correct answer will receive a Downtown Greenway t-shirt.
Thanks to these followers who have participated and won a t-shirt!
Follow all Downtown Greenway social media by clicking on icons to the left and keep an eye out for your next opportunity to win this t-shirt every Wednesday.